Comprehensive Eye Exams
It’s about more than just blurry vision.
Eye exams are vital to your overall health.
In addition to assessing your visual acuity, your eye care provider will test for common eye diseases, assess how your eyes are functioning together, and more.
Serious health issues like diabetes and high blood pressure are often first detected during an eye exam.
Medical VS Routine Exam [PDF]
Don’t put it off — schedule your comprehensive eye exam at Cook & Hayden Vision Care Center today.
What does a comprehensive eye exam include?
Your optometrist will determine what tests are needed based on your medical history.
However, most comprehensive eye exams include the following:
- Visual acuity to test the sharpness of your vision, usually with an eye chart
- Visual fields test to check for blind spots in your vision
- Retinoscopy to estimate your eyeglass prescription
- Refraction to determine your exact eyeglass prescription
- Slit lamp to check for common eye diseases and conditions
- Retinal photo screenings to test for diabetic retinopathy
- Tonometry to test for glaucoma
- Ophthalmoscopy to examine the optic nerve, retina, and blood vessels
How often should I get a comprehensive eye exam?
Most eye care professionals recommend yearly eye exams. But it depends on your age, risk factors, and whether or not you wear corrective lenses.
We recommend that children have their eyes examined at 6 months to 1 year old. If their vision is fine, exams should be completed every other year from three to five years old. After five years of age, exams are recommended yearly.
For adults, it is recommended to complete a comprehensive eye exam yearly for ages 18 and older.
What about contact lens exams?
A comprehensive eye exam typically does not include a contact lens fitting. So you may need to schedule a separate contact lens exam.
Just let us know when you schedule your appointment, and we’ll make sure you are taken care of.
Make healthy vision a priority in your life and in the lives of the ones you love. Schedule a comprehensive eye exam at Cook & Hayden Vision Care Center now.